What do you eat?
Lately I’ve been getting asked this quite a bit. As opposed to an “eat what you want diet”, I come prepared. People see me with my cooler and little bags of food containing meals that look pretty tasty and they wonder what my nutrition plan is and how I prep it so that I’m always ready for any situation, whether at home or traveling. Would you like to know my secret? It’s really pretty straightforward, it just requires discipline.
On Saturdays I go to the grocery store. I get the following items, which I will break down by meal, and will even list the times I eat each day (Keep in mind the actual food items vary by what my fitness goals are at the time, this is just ONE example of what I eat, the overall IDEA is the same, eat what you love)
- Meal 1 (7am) : 1 cup of oats, 1 and 1/2 cups egg whites, 1 tablespoon almond butter, 1 scoop Shakeology
- Meal 2 (10:30am) : 1 handful (25) almonds, 1 apple (the sugar will be burned with a morning workout within the same hour)
- Meal 3 (1pm) : 2 cups spinach, 1/4 cup canned salmon (moister than tuna and less fishy), 6oz sweet potato
- Meal 4 (4pm) : 8oz chicken breast – baked, 10 asparagus spears
- Meal 5 (7pm) : 8oz chicken breast – baked, 6oz broccoli or brussels sprouts, 2 cups spinach, 1/2 avocado
On Sunday (or later Saturday if I have time) I cook it ALL for the week. I then split it up by meals for the week, putting each meal in a small plastic bag. Meals for the next 3 days go into the fridge, while meals for the rest of the week go into the freezer.
How Do You Eat Healthy?
That’s about it. As the week goes along, I can simply take each meal from the fridge and eat it, or take it with me in my cooler if I need to go somewhere. I have a small cooler for day trips with an ice pack and a larger cooler for weekend trips with 2 ice packs, and when I know I’m traveling long distances I simply freeze ALL the food before the trip, this allows it all to go through TSA since it’s all solid, and being frozen you don’t even need the ice packs! This creates a 2400 calorie day, so simply vary the amounts according to what your caloric requirements might be for what you’re trying to accomplish fitness-wise!
I make sure all of the people in my fitness challenges use this as a guide for their nutrition. If you’re interested in finding out more about my fitness challenges, click HERE -> Total Solution including a nutrition plan.
Make SURE to read Part 2 of this topic, When Do I Eat?
Take control of YOUR nutrition plan!