Cashew Cheese Queso
It’s becoming widely known that dairy just isn’t healthy. We all grew up on milk and dairy, and now we’re finding that it simply has too many hormones and other nasty stuff that we need to avoid. Problem is, cheese is just so tasty and addictive that many people can’t give it up.
That’s where vegan nut cheeses come in! Now you can have your cheese, queso, nachos, whatever you like, without the guilt or health consequences later! Whether it’s cashew cheese, almond cheese, etc…they all, when made correctly, truly do give a cheesy taste and are gaining popularity every day. You can make macaroni and cheese, nachos, tacos, whatever you’d like without worrying about the harmful effects of dairy. Vegan cheese is light years tastier than some of the healthy food alternatives were just a few years ago.
This is a super simple amazingly tasty recipe for cashew cheese queso that will honestly satisfy your cheese craving and let you feel totally indulgent while still being totally healthy, which is what we all want, right? It’s basically like a vegan velveeta. You could probably even make a tasty Rotel dip with it.
Trust me, you’ll thank me for this one.
Thanks to Thekitchn.com for the recipe.
- 2 large red bell peppers, roughly chopped
- 2 cups raw cashews
- 1 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, optional
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon red chile flakes (or less, depending on your spice tolerance)
- Soak the cashews overnight in cold water to remove harmful poisons. You should do this with all nuts.
- Combine all the ingredients in a blender, making sure the red peppers are on the bottom. Blend until a smooth sauce forms, adding a bit of water if the blender is having trouble blending.
- Transfer to a sealed container and refrigerate until ready to use. The cheese sauce will keep for up to 5 days in the fridge. Heat over a stove, NOT in a microwave.